Sunday 4 September 2016

Why Dubrovnik should be on your travel Bucket List




Dubrovnik is stunning. I saw pictures on the internet before going but I didn't believe it could possibly be that pretty. It was. Here are a few things I'd recommend doing if you ever get the chance to visit Dubrovnik.

Go on a private tour! 
Tour's are great because you get to know the city and get an idea of where you want to visit. If you get a private tour then you actually have a chance of hearing what's being said and get to choose what you want to see. I learnt a lot about the history of Dubrovnik on our tour and seeing the marks in the walls of Dubrovnik Cathedral caused by bullets and shrapnel brought home the sadness of Dubrovnik's recent history.





















Brave the heights!
A trip up Mt Srđ in a cable car is a great way to get some stunning  photos of the city. At the top, there's a bustling restaurant that serves decent food for a reasonable price and a small shop. You can also go up the mountain on buggies which looked like so much fun!
Walking the city walls is another great way to see the city from above. There are four or five cafés along the way and plenty of places to take pictures. 



Explore local cuisine 
I can't say that the food in Dubrovnik was amazing. I think on the whole we probably chose badly but there are a few places I'd recommend trying. The Arsenal has the best view in Dubrovnik. The food in the evening was average so we preferred going there for breakfast. Ordering a croissant and a coffee rather than choosing one of the breakfast options on the menu is a good idea because it's cheaper and that's the best part! 
Being by the sea most restaurants serve mainly seafood but if you're sick of fish I'd recommend the Taj Mahal (definitely not a name I'd associate with food in Dubrovnik!) The Bosnian Restaurant offers mostly meat on the menu and the traditional, tasty food is full of flavour and different to all the other restaurants in Dubrovnik. We finished our night with some Turkish coffees which were served with Turkish Delight and it was the perfect end to a great meal.  





















Relax with a Beach Day
The drawback of going to Dubrovnik is that there aren't any sandy beaches - there all pebbly! To get your white sand fix go to Lupud Island. The boat journey is an hour  but it's really worth it! When you come off the boat you can then catch a buggy to the other end of the island where this treasure of a beach hides. This little island honestly took my breath away. Between the turquoise water and the biblical fig, grape and pomegranate trees I was pretty sure I was in paradise. Being pale and ginger a day on the beach doesn't scream relax or fun to me but with plenty of sun loungers available and a bar serving various cocktails I was more than comfortable.




I really enjoyed my time in Dubrovnik. Being right by the sea there are a tone of opportunities to go kayaking and snorkelling which I'm gutted I didn't get the chance to do because I wasn't feeling great but there's always next time! I'm so glad I got to visit Dubrovnik as it's a place I'll never forget. Don't forget to follow me on TwitterInstagram and Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment