Thursday 8 September 2016

Why running is awesome!


I’ve been wanting to write this post since I started blogging and I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to write it! I love running. I never thought I’d say that four years ago!
I’ve always been a dancer and dancing was a huge part of my life for so long. Since the age of eight I had three hour dance lessons four times a week and competitions on weekends  but as I got older, with exams looming, I decided that it was to much of a commitment and I had to quit. I needed something to fill that void in my life and for me that came in the shape of running. 

1. Fitness  
Running was a great way to keep up my fitness after I stopped dancing and is still my favourite form of cardio. It’s also really easy to see your progress whether that’s being able to run an extra kilometre or cut a minute off your personal best. I also found that at the beginning I progressed quite quickly from not being able to run a single kilometre to running about two or three kilometres in my first few weeks.

2. No excuses
You can run practically anywhere, and with trainers as your only essential equipment, there are NO EXCUSES. This means even when I’m away for a week or two with no access to a gym I can still go out running. I find it really hard to motivate myself to train when I watch youtube workouts or app workouts and often find myself cheating with the times or only putting 50% of my energy and effort into the workout. When I run I can’t cheat, or maybe I’m just less inclined to cheat. I find I always want to do my best when it comes to running.

3. Sociable
 Sick of going out for food or drinks EVERY TIME you meet up with your friends? How about going for a run together instead? It’s so much fun! I have one friend who I don’t get to see very often and when we meet we go for a run and then a catch up in starbucks. It’s something special that’s ours and although we totally don’t break any personal bests it does mix things up a bit! I’m also hoping to join a running club when I get to university as a way to meet like minded people and make friends.

4. Mind
One of the best runs I ever went on was after a really horrible exam. I’d got home and cried hysterically for a good half hour and I was left feeling empty and angry. I was angry at myself for some really stupid mistakes, angry at whoever wrote the paper for giving us such a hard paper and basically angry at the whole world for existing, so what did I do? I went for a run - and kept running until I worked off all my anger and had cleared my mind of all negativity. I use running as an outlet whenever I’m angry, not thinking clearly or just plain sad. I always feel better when I get home.

5. Motivation

I love going running first thing in the morning when the rest of the world is still asleep and the only sounds I can hear are my rhythmic steps on the concrete and my heavy breathing (and some squwaky birds). Going running in the morning sets me up for the rest of the day. I’m more motivated to get stuff done and also find it easier to make healthier decisions when it comes go my diet. Basically a day that starts with a run is going to be a good day.

Don't forget to follow me on TwitterInstagram and Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment